I started out by spraying the hull clean with a water pressure sprayer, to get rid of as much algae as possible from below the waterline as possible. In so doing, I noticed two areas on starboard that appear to have been repairs. I'll have a professional assess that in the summer just to be sure. As there is no leakage, I am not too concerned,but I would like a professional assessment.

Next, I covered the entire boat with a tarp, to protect it from the elements. I made sure to get one that is big enough to use as a heated tent for when I work this winter.

Finally, I started removing all the wood from the inside. this began with the wooden trim in the kitchen area, and then moved on to the inner trim and the boxes on the wall.

I got several surprises:

  • There was a wasp nest behind one of the boxes on the wall
  • The wood trim was screwed directly into the fiberglass and thus stripped. It was not the screws that held the trim in place, but rather, caulk!
  • The fiberglass plug that was put in the old window was so poorly done, that it was soaking wet. It was essentially cardboard covered with plaster and two layers of sloppy fiberglass. I pulled it all off.
  • Behind the wall trim, the fiberglass was moldy.

So I see several projects more clearly now. The top priority is to assure that the roof is watertight, so I will need to continue to remove the stuff that is in place to see the state of the factory-made roof. Then, I'll start re-enforcing it and plugging all the holes : correctly.

I'll need to be sure to clean the mold from the sides, to get a better idea of its condition.

Not all the wood has come off yet, so the next work day will consist of finishing that, and starting to grind off all the plaster and gunk that has been patched over everything.